Sitting at a desk for 40 hours a week is physically and mentally exhausting.
Never underestimate how important it is to maintain healthy activity during the work day.
- Take the stairs! If you are going up or down only a few floors, give yourself a few extra minutes to take the stairs and burn some extra calories.
- Avoid mental fatigue by taking a break outside. Allow yourself some time for what is called involuntary attention, which in turn, will help you focus when you get back to work.
- Use your office furniture to stretch and do mini exercises like seated spinal twists or neck and shoulder rolls.
- Hand-deliver a message. Rather than emailing or calling, walk to someone’s desk to give him/her a note or package. This will give your the opportunity to get up and move around every once in a while. If possible, try to schedule walking meetings where the entire meeting is done on foot.
- Sit up! Keep computer monitors at eye level so that you do not have to slump. This will help with your posture as well.
- Stay away from office snacks. Bring your own healthy snacks and keep them in your desk. Pre-portioned healthy options like fruit or nuts are always a better option than what most vending machines offer.
- Keep water bottles at your desk to stay hydrated throughout the day.
- Take your lunch break away from your desk.
Ask your employer what programs exist to keep employees healthy. And if they don’t have a workplace wellness program in place, ask for one!